Raise the Rocky Mountain PBS Banner on Colorado Gives Day (Denver)
We need 2-3 enthusiastic volunteers who will hold high the Rocky Mountain PBS banner at the State Capitol rally on December 9, 2013. December 10th is Colorado Gives Day. Volunteers will get the RMPBS banner and walk to the State Capitol at 10:30 am and gather at the West Steps for the Colorado Gives Day Rally. (Rally will end “noonish”) Press is there with lots of cameras. In the past three years, Rocky Mountain PBS has been the recipient of many, many donations – one of the top five non-profits in terms of donations. Help us continue this wonderful tradition!
Colorado Gives Day is an initiative to increase philanthropy in Colorado through online giving. In addition to fundraising, Colorado Gives Day raises awareness of the state’s nonprofit sector and educates communities on the benefits of online giving. Colorado Gives Day 2013 will take place during a 24-hour period on Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013. Community First Foundation and FirstBank have partnered on this initiative since inception three years ago, distributing $8.7 million to Colorado nonprofits in 2010, $12.8 million in 2011 and $15.7 million in 2012. If you would like to assist, please contact Susan Barber at email@example.com.
Curious Volunteers Needed - Sam Photo Committee (Denver)
“A photograph taken today is a lifetime of yesterdays preserved for all the tomorrows.”
Thanks to the combined efforts of the SAM Photo Committee volunteers, photographic evidence of Rocky Mountain PBS’ past is being preserved so future generations of Coloradans can learn from it today and appreciate it in the future. Station’s Archived Memories has taken on the responsibility as the steward of the station’s history. The Station’s Archived Memories (SAM) “PHOTO COMMITTEE” is a volunteer-driven committee that welcomes new volunteers throughout the year to help preserve the station’s current event and historic photographs.
Volunteering for SAM is interesting, educational, fun, purposeful and meaningful. It’s a terrific way to meet fellow volunteers, too. Review the job description below and call SAM if you would like to express your curiosity. 303-620-5734 or SAM@rmpbs.org.
Job Description For Station’s Archived Memories (Sam) Photo Committee Volunteer
The SAM Photo Volunteer is responsible for learning the various steps toward archiving photographs, negatives/contact sheets and slides relating to the history of KRMA/RMPBS. The SAM Photo Volunteers work directly with the SAM Photo Chair.
The SAM Photo Volunteer should expect to dedicate a minimum of three hours weekly. Daytime hours are required; some evening /weekend tasks are available.
The SAM Photo Volunteer will learn one or more of the tasks involved in archiving photos:
- Identify and organize photographs, negatives, contact sheets and slides
- Create unique accession numbers for each group of photographs
- “Batch” photo groups using Photoshop and FileMaker on a Mac
- Archive items in the database with attention to data entry accuracy
- Use existing tools for identifying both batches and individual images
- Preserve photo items in an archive-safe environment
- Take and/or document pictures at station events
The SAM Photo Volunteer will record hours spent archiving at the station and off-site in the Volgistics database.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Organizational skills and computer knowledge are mandatory
- Experience with Mac is helpful, though data entry is not difficult to learn with basic computer keyboard experience
- An interest in research and detail work is extremely beneficial
Photo Committee Tasks (Training provided)
- Continue to accept and archive photos/negatives/slides/digital images for the archives
- Scan photos, slides and negatives
- Assign accession numbers and batch to Filemaker each discrete group of images
- Serve as Current Events chair, keeping abreast of current events on the R: drive
- Recruit former staff members and volunteers to identify & archive `60s, `70s, `80s and `90s
- Keep up with staff photos & information
- Recruit new volunteers to learn processes and train veterans to additional processes
- Research in SAM database as well as at public library and the internet
- SAM needs an electronic specialist to make sure we capture all website and internet activity (not only photos) related to stations & volunteers
- Collaborate on updating procedures for all photo archiving processes
Volunteers to help produce Online Auction 2014 (Denver)
Thank you to everyone that attended the Online Auction Pizza Party!
We are still in need of several volunteers to help with the online auction. Some of the work can be done from your own home if you like and within your schedule. We are looking to start up after the new year with the auction being held in May.
For more information please contact Cathy Glick of Renee Marcellis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome Desk Volunteers at the Tim Gill Center and Other Opportunities (Colorado Springs)
More of our volunteers are welcome to help with the front desk at the Tim Gill Center! This will continue to be a very important service to our community as we continue to accommodate an ever-increasing number of requests to use the facilities at the Tim Gill Center.
The Southern Colorado branch of Rocky Mountain PBS is also seeking experienced volunteers to provide expertise in the following areas:
- Grant Research: Help identify specific grant opportunities for the Tim Gill Center and KTSC-TV
- Social Media: Provide best practice research, as well as help to keep our followers up-to-date on current local news and happenings with the Tim Gill Center and Rocky Mountain PBS
- Speakers Bureau for Local Outreach: We are looking for experienced professionals who are skilled at building and giving successful public presentations. Our goal is to speak to more people in our region about the exciting work we are doing in order to build our network of advocates and supporters.
Please contact Keanna Smith for more information on any of the above topics, email@example.com or (719) 418-5851.
Community Calendar Volunteer
KRMJ needs a volunteer who has approximately 3 hours every other week to assist with compiling Western Colorado events and entering them in the Rocky Mountain PBS community calendar. Email and spreadsheet experience is a plus but not required.
Flyer Distribution Volunteer
KRMJ is looking for a volunteer to distribute flyers for Community Cinema in Mesa County 1/month from September through May/June.
Email Collection from Community Cinema Screenings
KRMJ is looking for volunteers to assist in collecting and submitting email addresses at monthly Community Cinema events in the following areas: Grand Junction, Steamboat Springs, Mancos, Telluride, and Durango.