Talking to your kids about tragedy
It's hard to know exactly what to tell a child after news of a horrible tragedy. Here are some sources that provide parents support:
- An excellent resource from the Sesame Street Workshop for talking to kids about grief
- Sesame Street videos for dealing with tragedy
- PBS Parents offers tips for talking about tough subjects wth your kids. And about talking to kids about what they hear on the news.
- The Fred Rogers Company posted an article about easing your child's fears.
- Several area school districts also have posted valuable tips for talking to children about violence: here and here.
Your kids used to complain about your parenting style. Now, they're copying it.
A photographer shows parents' emotions in the rooms their children left behind.
"Parenting Counts: A Focus on Early Learning," co-developed by Talaris and KCTS Seattle/Television brings the research on best parenting practices into parent's daily lives through a series of television spots and workshops.