Avoid the Summer Slump!
Studies have shown that students lose knowledge and skills over the summer. This summer, you can rely on PBS KIDS and Rocky Mountain PBS to provide a positive learning experience that is also fun. We’re adjusting our regular schedule to provide more of the PBS KIDS programs your kids love - more Curious George, more Daniel Tiger - AND more of the key learning they need to stay ahead of the summer slump. Check out our KIDS schedule!
Summer Reading Tips
Research shows that children who read build skills that support their academic and personal success. Here are our top tips to help you and your child explore reading all year round.
- Tip #1: Integrate reading adventures into your daily routine. Read more.
- Tip #2: Explore your local library. Read more.
- Tip #3: Bring learning tools with you on the road. Read more.
- Tip #4: Find educational activities you and your child can do together indoors and outdoors. Read more.
- Tip #5: Look for books and programs that feature your child’s favorite characters. Read more.
How to Use Crafts to Strengthen Your Child’s Reading Muscles
Mixing crafts and reading makes literacy more fun. Traci Paige Johnson, and Angela Santomero, co-creators of Blues Clues, share crafty tips that your kids will love.
- Going to a Restaurant - ￼Make your next visit to a restaurant an interactive learning experience by using these activities to practice reading and literacy skills while enjoying a good meal.
- Going to the Library - ￼Use these activities on your next visit to the library to get your children excited about reading and being at the library.
- Going on a Trip - ￼Take advantage of your next trip to practice literacy skills while you explore new places together.
- Going on a Book-nic - ￼Take your kids on a literacy themed picnic and encourage reading together while you enjoy the great outdoors.
- Arthur’s Green Thumb
- The Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That!: Lost Animals
- The Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That!: Puppet Pals
- The Cat In The Hat Knows A Lot About That!: Making Leaf and Bark Rubbings
- Code Cracker
- Curious George: Make A Pinwheel
- Curious George: Suitcase Find
- Dinosaur Train: Dinosaurs from A-Z
- Dinosaur Train: ￼Nature Treasure Hunt
- ￼Dot’s Edible Bird Feeder
- Peg + Cat: I Spy Peg
- Sid The Science Kid: Weather In My Backyard
- ￼Wild Kratts: Wildlife Journal
- Wild Kratts: What’s The Animal Guessing Game
- Wild Kratts: Wet And Wild Word Find
- Word Girl: Cross Worrrd Up!
- Word Girl: Literary List
- Where Will You Explore?
- ￼What in the World? Reading List
- ￼You Can Go Anywhere Reading List
June marks the end of our fiscal year. If you’re proud to be a PBS Parent, won’t you consider becoming a RMPBS Member? Just $10 a month supports the programs you and your children love, and brings you discounts and coupons to special events and local attractions, this summer and throughout the year. Sign up here.